If there was a contest for America’s favorite chair, wall recliners would win, hands down. Recliners are usually the special chair of one person, who protectively guards the right to sit in it. We watch TV in recliners, eat in recliners, work on laptops in recliners and take comfy naps in recliners. No nation loves recliners as much as the U.S., and we love adding them to our home furnishings.
A French Emperor Began the Love Affair with Reclining Chairs
During the 1800s, Napoleon III, the nephew of the much more famous Napoleon Bonaparte, wished to be comfortable while at war and used a multi-purpose camp bed that would also function as a chair and chaise longue. The arm rests were padded, but that was about all that the first reclining chair had in common with today’s comfortable, beautiful wall recliners.
The Rocket Recliner and Apollo 13
Americans took the French concept and invented the ancestor of the recliner we love today in 1928. It was NASA and the space program, however, that shot recliners into American living rooms. An inventor who had served in the Air Force developed a chair based upon the science of kinetics, calling it the rocket recliner. It was used by NASA for Mercury, Gemini and the famous Apollo moon flight as well as in the Tom Hanks movie Apollo 13.
Wall Recliners – the Solution America was Waiting For
The biggest problem with recliners was that in order to have enough room for the chair to fully recline, the chair had to be located some distance from the wall. The chair was in the way and simply took up too much space.
The wall saver recliner was invented to solve this problem. Now people living in small homes can enjoy laying back in comfort in their favorite chair. A zero wall recliner only needs a few inches between the chair and the wall. Underneath the seat of the chair is a gliding mechanism that allows the bottom half of the chair to glide forward, ensuring the most efficient use of space.
Tips on Choosing the Best Wall Recliner for You
Choosing the wall recliner that will be best for you can be confusing. They are available in a wide selection of styles and features, in soft buttery leathers or multiple fabric choices. However, one wall recliner will prove to be exactly the chair that you’ve been looking for.
There are a few points to keep in mind when looking at wall recliners for sale.
- Comfort: Padding matters and size must be considered. The same size chair will not be best suited for both a small woman and a large man.
- Wall Recliners Price and Longevity: Chairs are available in a wide price range. Keep in mind that the least expensive chairs will not last as long as a better quality chair. Mid-range recliners in normal use last about 10 years.
- Available Space: Normal recliners do not hug the wall. Wall recliners use space much more efficiently.
- Style: There are wall recliners for every style. If in doubt, you can’t go wrong with a classic recliner in a neutral fabric or wall recliners leather covering.
Today’s Most Popular Wall Recliners
The following four recliners are great examples of the wonderful wall recliners for sale today. Each has specific features that affect the usability and longevity of the chair. Be sure to take a look at the wall recliners reviews for these great chairs.
Hogan Mocha Zero Wall Recliner with Wide Seat Box
If you want to cuddle with your grandkid (or your dog) or simply prefer a larger seat, this is the chair for you. One reviewer reported that two normal-sized adults could sit in the chair, but it was a tight fit.
The seat is about 3 feet wide, with sitting space of 31” between the armrests. This chair is a great choice for anyone under 6’ 3”. Reviewers said that the feet of anyone taller would hang off the foot rest. The chair needs little to no wall space when it’s reclined.
- Warm, earth-toned mocha microfiber fabric is easy to live with.
- Relaxed, casual style fits comfortably with any home décor.
- Comfort is assured with plush padding in the pillow top arms and bustle back design.
- Zero wall recliner doesn’t waste space in the room.
- Supports up to 300 lbs.
- 59″ W x 44″ D x 41″ H
Stallion Comfort King Chaise Wallsaver Recliner, Brown Tweed Fabric
Reviews were great on this wallsaver recliner, calling this chair, “The best recliner on the market” and “Fantastic.” Amazon customers awarded this wall recliner 4.5 stars out of 5.
Fully reclined, this is the largest recliner available, as long as a king-sized mattress. It’s also the sturdiest recliner that you can buy, incorporating a 7-guage steel mechanism with an all-steel floor base and seat box. The sturdiness of this wall recliner is reflected in its weight of 169 lbs.
The wide seat and tall back provide the well-padded comfort that a larger individual wants and needs.
- Recliner is wrapped in an inviting warm brown tweed fabric.
- It is long enough for someone almost 6’ 5”.
- Recliner supports up to 500 lbs.
- Made in the USA.
- 40” x 44” x 48”
Prolounger Wall Hugger Power Recliner and Lift Chair, Coffee Brown Renu Leather
A lift recliner makes all the difference to someone with crippling arthritis, bad knees or another problem that makes it difficult to get out of a regular chair. Since it is likely that the individual will be spending a substantial amount of time in the chair, it’s critical that the chair be comfortable and sturdy. The chair is covered with luxurious, brown, durable Renu leather, with the look and feel of top grain leather.
- Only 4” of clearance needed from the wall to either recline or lift.
- The wired power control is included, making it simple to open, close and lift the wall lift recliner.
- Between use, power control is held in a convenient pocket on the side of the chair to avoid loss.
- Between the chair and leg rest there is a full chaise pad so that legs are supported for complete comfort.
- Comfort is ensured with cushions stuffed with resilient high-density foam and polyester fiber. Pocket coils are independently wrapped.
- The chair ships in one box and is completely assembled in less than ten minutes.
- Chair is manufactured with steel reclining mechanism, laminated hardwood frame and insulated spring clips.
- 29”H x 30.5”W x 34.25”L
ProLounger Wall Hugger Microfiber Biscuit Back Recliner, Black
Those on a budget will be pleased to discover this wall hugger recliner that only needs 4” of wall clearance for reclining. Unlike other inexpensive recliners, this chair possesses a full chaise pad so that legs are always fully supported, important for lasting comfort.
- Uses space efficiently, requiring only 4” clearance from the wall when reclined.
- Recliner is covered with soft and durable black microfiber and has biscuit back for comfort and style.
- High density foam and polyester fiber fills comfy cushions.
- Pocket coil spring system is independently wrapped.
- Recliner has hardwood frame for durability and steel reclining mechanism.
Which Wall Recliner is the Best Buy?
Why are you interested in purchasing a wall recliner? Will the chair be needed for many years or will it be replaced in a shorter period of time? How much use will the chair receive? What is the budget? The answers to these questions will help determine the best wall recliner for you. Here is what we think about each of the products that have been reviewed:
Hogan Mocha Zero Wall Recliner
4 out of 5 stars. This chair would be a great find for anyone who wants a big overstuffed wall recliner. Most wall recliners reviews were excellent, but there were a couple complaining of poor quality. The chair is only designed to support 300 lbs., so would not be a good choice for heavier individuals. Overall, this is an excellent chair.
Stallion Comfort King Chaise Wallsaver Recliner
4.5 out of 5 stars. This is the most expensive of the four chairs and, not surprisingly, had the best reviews. It’s a big, sturdy, heavy chair that should last for years. Anyone who makes a habit of napping or sleeping in a recliner would love the fact that this wall recliner is as long as a king-sized mattress. This wall recliner would be a top choice.
Prolounger Wall Hugger Power Recliner and Lift Chair
3.5 out of 5 stars. A wall recliner that is also a lift chair can be expected to receive a lot of use from one person. This is a very good mid-range lift recliner. People with handicaps often find that a smooth wall recliners leather surface makes it easier to get out of the chair and the Renu leather covering fills that need. This chair has a full chaise pad, essential for comfort.
ProLounger Wall Hugger Microfiber Biscuit Back Recliner
2 out of 5 stars. This is a budget wall recliner and would not hold up to heavy use, but it would be a great buy for someone furnishing a first home, a guest room or needing an extra chair for occasional use.
Which chair would be the best buy for you depends entirely on why you want a wall recliner. Once you’ve determined which features are important, then you will know which chair is the right one for you.